Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 101 – Thailand

January 14, 2010 - Bangkok to Ayutthaya, Thailand

Eric and I take the 11:20am “ordinary class” train from Bangkok to Ayutthaya and arrive around 1:00pm.

We take the ferry across the river and begin the search for a guesthouse, which doesn’t take us too long though we did run into one of the biggest wankers we’ve ever met along the way… it’s a long story but if you’re interested, ask Eric or I who the “douchebag” is and we’ll happily tell you.

After we check in, we rent a pair of bikes and take off to explore the city.

Ayutthaya is the former capital of Thailand and is located on an island surrounded by three rivers – the Mae Nam Lopburi, the Chao Phraya and the Pa Sak. It’s also a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of all the historic temples scattered throughout the city and along the rivers.


We spend the afternoon biking around and exploring two temples, Wat Phra Mahathat & Wat Ratburana.

Wat Phra Mahathat is famous for the iconic image of the Buddha head entangled in the roots of an ancient tree. Many of the Buddha images were damaged or destroyed during the Burmese invasion and have not been restored. Although it’s unfortunate, they do make for some beautiful photo opportunities and we can’t seem to stop taking pictures.


The city is quite busy and I find myself driving on the wrong side of the road a lot. I don’t seem to notice it until I hear Eric yelling behind me “You’re on the wrong side! We’re not at home!”

I figure if the locals can do it with scooters and bicycles, why can’t I? After all, the tourist guides tell you to try and blend in.

No comments:

Post a Comment