Friday, May 7, 2010

London Calling

This is my first time in London.

I’ve read about it, I’ve seen it on TV & in movies and almost everyone else I know has been here before and loved it, so I’m really looking forward to enjoying it myself.

And to be able to do it with my Mom makes it even better.

Plus, after spending the last six months in countries where I completely stick out, it’ll be nice to be in a place where I can blend in. Or at least blend in until I open my mouth and say something harmless, yet embarrassing…

Speaking of which, did you know that in England, “trousers = pants” and “pants = underpants”? And did you know, if you say “oh man – I just spilled gravy on my pants” out loud in a pub, people will look at you and smirk?

The first morning, I wake up early to meet Mom at her hotel and of course, it’s raining…


How cliché.

Mom’s room comes with a continental breakfast for two and I’m going to take advantage of it. And since Robyn has plans to meet up with some of her friends throughout the week, there’s more food for me.

We have a nice breakfast and decide, instead of rushing around and trying to do too much, let’s just go for a nice wander and explore the city.

Fortunately, this is what Mom and I do best.

Growing up, Chris and I would visit Mom in Toronto every other weekend and then we’d spend our time exploring the city, walking along the water and looking for parks to play in. And of course, we’d finish off the day with a slice of pizza.

Well this tradition still goes on, only now, besides a nice dinner, we finish off our day with a glass of wine, which beats the hell out of chocolate milk any time.


Throughout the week, Mom and I cover a lot of ground.

Now part of this is because there’s so much I want to see and do here. But part of it is because of the food.

Don’t get me wrong – I love the food here… it’s fresh, it’s good and it’s so different than what I’ve eaten over the last 6 months. But honestly, how much mash can one man eat over 4 days?

They love their mash here – bangers & mash… meat pie & mash…

Fruit salad? Well, here’s some mash for it!

In fact, I’m afraid to turn on the TV for fear I might have to watch a rerun of… M*A*S*H!!!


We stumble upon the former site of William Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre…


This is me playing the role of a tourist doing his best “master thespian” impersonation... I am sooo method.

We stroll around London Bridge and the Borough Market…


We cruise past the London Eye and Big Ben…


Please keep in mind that I am standing far away from Big Ben in this picture. In real life it is much bigger than I am.

And we saunter past Buckingham Palace… or as Mom calls it “Queen E’s Place”.



The flag is up which means the Queen is in town. If the flag is down it means she’s made an illegal tackle and will be penalized 10 yards.

And of course, we take a tour through the Tower of London.


It’s not too often that I find a hat that’s too big for me.

Now being that this is London, a world-class city filled with history and culture, we’re also sure to be on our best behavior at all times…


As I’ve mentioned, Robyn has some good friends in London, so while Mom and I are off doing our thing, she’s oot & aboot catching up with them.


I have no idea where this picture was taken, but I’m going to assume it’s somewhere in London.

After spending the last 6 months together nearly 24/7, it’s definitely kinda weird for us not to be hanging out. Of course, I’m sure she’s happy for a bit of a break from me – my charm can be way too intoxicating sometimes.

Robyn meets up with us in the evenings, where we catch up over dinner.


In reality, Robyn is telling a very animated story and Mom is listening intently. But doesn’t it look like Robyn’s challenging Mom to a fight and Mom seems completely unthreatened? They both hate this pick – but I like it.

On Saturday, the three of us take a field trip to Notting Hill to check out the Portobello Market. Mom’s interested in looking at antique silver and I’m interested in eating a cheeseburger.

We both succeed.


Mom’s red jacket makes it very easy to find her in the sea of “London Black”.

Our final night together – which also happens to be Easter – Mom takes us out for a very special treat...

Oysters!


There’s a great little place in the Borough Market where we enjoy a sample of fresh oysters from Ireland, England and Scotland. And the best part?

Not a potato in sight – oh man… how happy are we?!


I think we’ve discovered a new Easter tradition.


We finish off the evening with a nice walk, where we find a pub and enjoy dinner as well as a few cocktails.


Mmmm… Pimms & Lemonade (aka. Sprite).

Sadly, all good things must come to an end, so we take Mom back to her place and say our “see ya laters”.

No comments:

Post a Comment