Thursday, June 3, 2010

Days 234-239 – South Africa

May 27 – June 1, 2010 – Cape Town to Betty’s Bay to Stellenbosch to Cape Town, South Africa

Eric and I don’t really have a plan for the next couple of days – we’re just going to see where Merlin takes us. “Merlin” is our new rental car… Eric has developed the habit of naming our rental cars – it must be some sort of guy thing, which I don’t want to understand.

The first stop on our coastal tour is the most southern tip of the African continent, Cape L’Agulhus. This is where the Indian and Atlantic oceans collide.


Eric demonstrates his impression of the oceans colliding…


…while I almost take a surprise swim in the Indian Ocean. Or is it the Atlantic Ocean?


And of course, we stop and indulge in some of the local fare – hake (fish), calamari and chips. It would have been rude of us not to, being so close to the ocean as we are.

To our delight Merlin stops us in Betty’s Bay where we spend the next day exploring the coastline, which includes walking on the deserted beach of Pringle’s Bay…


…playing lots of Scrabble and visiting the local colony of jackass penguins.


And just for the record, I have nothing against penguins. In fact, I adore them – they make me laugh. These little guys are called “Jackass Penguins” because of the braying noise they make.


The backpacker’s hostel in Betty’s Bay – Bayside Beachhouse – turns out to be one of our favourites of the trip. And how could it not with a view like this?


Our coastal exploration continues as we take the R43 from Betty’s Bay to the winelands of Stellenbosch. Along the way, we even manage to catch a glimpse of some whales. I can’t say I’ve ever seen whales from shore before – pretty cool.


Early in the afternoon we roll into Stellenbosch just in time to catch the big Super 14 rugby finals between the Bulls (from Pretoria) and the Stormers (from Cape Town) at a local pub. Historically it’s a huge game as it’s the first time both teams in the finals are from South Africa – Super 14 rugby has teams from South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. It’s actually pretty interesting to watch considering I know almost nothing about rugby.

We spend Sunday as any Sunday should be spent – Merlin, Eric and I cruise around the country-side sampling the local wines and food delights. Well, Eric and I sample the wines… Merlin samples some Unleaded 95 Ultra.


Hats off to South Africa – they have some fantastic wines… especially the reds. Graham Becks’ 2009 Pinotage and Sylvanvale’s 2004 Family Reserve are ones to look out for!


We have only been to one vineyard so far. This dance is out of pure happiness and not due to any other reason, so don’t start spreading rumours.

And just in case you are getting the impression that we are alcoholics, I want to make it known we also take the time to check out some more cultural events…

We go see “Iron Man 2”, which is awesome.

Eric declares he wants it for Christmas and I say let’s get through my Birthday first… it’s on June 23rd, by the way – just a friendly reminder ;)

Our road trip has been another success and we make our way back to Cape Town with a couple bottles of great wine and about 10000 pictures of penguins… I couldn’t help myself!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Guys

    A friend of mine recommend your blog, and I have to say I really love it! I too am a traveler and I also have my own blog. As I am not currently traveling because I am saving for an around the world trip my blog is focusing on my travel planning and my previous travels. I will also be featuring a weekly interview with a fellow travel blogger/writer. Would I be able to interview you? The interview would be conducted via email and I will make sure I included a link to your site.

    If you would like to check out my blog it can be found at sleepingonbuses.tumblr.com

    Cheers Kimberley (sleepingonbuses@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete