Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 253 – Namibia

June 15, 2010 – Outjo to Etosha National Park, Namibia

Before leaving for Etosha, Deon, one of the owners of Kai-Oms, provides us with some tips and pointers for exploring the park. And let me tell you, his pointers really help out – Eric and I have another very successful day of animal-viewing.

We’re both left speechless by the quantity and variety of animals sharing the waterholes…

We’re even fortunate enough to see one of Eric’s favourites up close and personal.


While Eric drives, I’m on the hunt for game.


Of course, I have to remind myself to put the camera down and look with my eyes or I’ll miss the little creatures, like these ground squirrels…

Check out the size of his, er, nuts.

The termite mounds in Namibia are fascinating!

I tell you, termites are nature’s architects.

A lot of South Africans are fleeing their country because of the World Cup and as a result, Etosha’s campgrounds are packed and we’re unable to get in. Luckily Jeanny, the other owner of Kai-Oms, recommends a campground just south of Etosha’s Andersson Gate, so we head there at the end of our safari.

Eldorado Restcamp turns out to be just what we need. The owners, Hanel and Adri, are lovely – they set us up with blankets, a camp-light, a couple of beers and they even start our fire for us. Eric and I are warm and happy when we go to bed and we fall asleep with visions of bacon dancing in our heads… they’re cooking us a farm-style breakfast in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment