Friday, November 27, 2009

Just Monkeying Around...

I’m not sure if you’re aware of this or not, but I like telling jokes.

I know.

Shocking, isn’t it?

But the one thing I’m finding is that the language barrier often makes humour difficult. The subtleties of sarcasm, irony and jest are often lost in translation.

When English isn’t the common dialect, it’s tough enough for me to find the right word the other person will understand in a normal conversation, let alone one filled with wisecracks and smartass comments.

What I may see as an absolutely hilarious statement, will sometimes come off as slightly awkward, mildly insulting or maybe even just bat-shit crazy.

So as you can imagine, there are days when I struggle.

But of course, I have found one joke that works almost every time.

In Malaysia, and particularly Malaysia-Borneo, they are very proud of their wildlife; specifically, their apes and monkeys. Orangutans, proboscis monkeys, macaques, whatever - they’re everywhere! On postcards, advertisements, T-shirts, you name it – they’re very easy to find.

So if I’m talking to someone and the conversation hits that all-too-familiar awkward silence due to lack of words, I’ll point to a picture of a monkey and go “Hey – it’s my brother.”

And then we all have a good laugh.

Now you may think this is mean, but in my defense I’d like to offer three points:

First off, Chris started it.

Secondly, he isn’t here.

And thirdly, everyone always comes to the defense of him…

“Oh… you be nice. Ha ha ha.”

“You shouldn’t be mean to your brother. Ha ha ha.”

“Maybe the monkey’s your twin brother? Ha ha ha.”

99% of the time, this joke kills.

Of course, the one time it didn’t was with a guide at Bako National Park in Sarawak, Borneo-Malaysia.

Robyn and I were watching proboscis monkeys climbing in the trees. The guide was walking by and stopped to watch them with us.

I saw an opportunity to use my comedic skills to break the ice, so I cleared my throat and said the line…

“Hey – it’s my brother!”

And then I waited for the laughter.

Except there was no laughter.

He just looked at me and said “Where are you from?”

I said “Canada.”

Still no laughter.

Then, in all seriousness, without any trace of irony, he said “well then it’s not your brother.”

I see.

As far as he was concerned, the only reason why the monkey in the tree and I couldn’t possibly be related was a matter of nationality.

So yeah – sometimes the humour is lost.

And just for the record, I don’t think my brother looks like a proboscis monkey.

Chris doesn’t have red hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment