Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 26 – Malaysia to Borneo-Malaysia

October 31, 2009 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to Kota Kinabalu, Borneo-Malaysia

Happy Halloween!

As I previously mentioned, Eric and I have an early start to the day.

We catch our flight no problem though it is delayed an hour because a crew member is missing and we can’t leave without them.

At about 10:20am we touchdown and begin our journey into the city centre. Apparently if you want to go anywhere in or out of KK’s city centre, you have to take 2 buses – 1 to get you to the bus station on the outskirts of the city and then 1 to take you around the city centre. So today we end up taking 6 buses – 2 to get us from the airport to a hostel, 2 to get us to the museum and of course 2 to get us back from the museum.

Eric and I spend the afternoon exploring the Muzium Sabah. Part of the museum is a heritage village with various types of indigenous huts found in Sabah.

While we were walking the village I was attacked again by Malaysia’s upper class… a gecko jumped on my back.

Yes a gecko.

I was attacked by a gecko!

This brought back painful memories, as the last run in I had with a gecko was about four years ago in Cambodia. I was eating my dinner and a little guy on the ceiling above me aimed, fired and pooed in my curry.

I looked up to see him smiling down at me.

So here I am having another run in with a gecko. It attempted to scramble up my neck onto my head.

After the monkey incident (see “Monkey on my Back”) I have been a little jittery, so I let out a good yelp and frantically danced around until I was sure I was rid of the “monster” on my back. The gecko wasn’t but three inches long and an inch in height, but he gave me quite a fright, though we both came out no worse for wear.

Eric had a good laugh.

Hell, I had a good laugh.

SERIOUSLY - what are the odds of a gecko jumping on your back? I’m banking on these gecko incidences as being good luck!

Eric and I finish the day wandering markets, streets, malls and parks to finally rest for dinner at a hole in the wall restaurant with great pork soup.

And, yes I can still feel the gecko running up my neck. I think the nervous twitch will stay with me for a couple of days or until I shower again.

No comments:

Post a Comment