Monday, August 16, 2010

Days 302 & 303 – Tanzania

August 3 & 4, 2010 – Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

We spend the next few days both wandering and enjoying the opportunity to wander – neither one of us is really enamored with Dar as a city, but we do feel comfortable walking around, which is nice.

Our first day is another “logistics day” – we line up our Serengeti safari, buy some supplies and catch up on our communication, ie. emailing and posting postcards. It takes almost all day which amazes me, but I guess when you don’t know the lay of the land, the time it takes to do simple tasks quickly adds up.

The next morning we wake up and enjoy a “play day”. We start by visiting a local craft market to scope things out for when we pass through at the end of our trip. We then head to the fish market, which we get to by walking along the harbour. It’s a functioning harbour so it isn’t overly scenic, but it is nice to be next to the water. After the fish market we meander through the different neighbourhoods – Dar es Salaam has a nice mix of races and cultures – and make our way to a local tea room we stumbled upon yesterday and grab a take-away lunch of some deep-fried goodness… samosas, pakoras and Scotch eggs.

Our afternoon is spent reading – I’ve started my new book and it’s gooooood – as well as grabbing some snacks for tomorrow’s bus ride and repacking our bags… again. I tell you, if I had a dollar for every time I’ve repacked my bag, I could afford to keep travelling for another 6 months… if only I could stop buying “vintaji”, the plural of “chintaji”.

No comments:

Post a Comment