Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Sweetest Thing

So recently I’ve come to the realization that Robyn is a much sweeter person than I am.

Now I’m sure most of you are actually thinking “Uh yeah – we know! You’re just figuring this out now?”

And I completely agree… Robyn is a much nicer person than I am.

Children love her. And so do old people.

And for that matter, so do cops.

In fact this was made very clear to me the other day.

We were walking down the street and we passed a number of police officers. One of them yelled out “hello”, so not wanting to piss off “the Law”, I naturally responded back with “hello” as well!

To which the police officer said, and I quote, “Yeah, hello. But not you – for your girl.”

Okay then. Fair enough. Who am I to argue with the law?

But here’s the thing, when I say Robyn is a sweeter person, I mean it physically.

As in she tastes MUCH better than I do.

And I say this because the critters over here LOVE HER!!!

She gets bombarded by mosquitoes, a gecko jumped on her head and when we were hiking in Borneo, she was the only one to find a leech on her leg.

Hell, when we were at the Singapore Zoo, we had to spend twenty minutes in the butterfly observatory because they would not leave her alone.


But the piece de la resistance occurred in the city of Sibu in Sarawak, Borneo-Malaysia.

We were crossing a busy road and in the middle of it was a grassy median, about two feet wide. We were standing in it for no more than 10 seconds and Robyn still managed to find and step in a nest of fire ants.

Oh the sight she was!!!

We already stand out over here just by being white… and here she is, dancing and flailing around the center of a busy, four-lane street, much to the entertainment of every passing car and motorscooter.

Now at first, I have to admit my feelings were a little bit hurt because I rarely get bitten.

I mean, what’s wrong with me?

Do I taste that bad? Do I smell? Is it a vibe I give off?

What is it?

But then I started counting my blessings.

After all, the bugs may find me disgusting, but at least I have fewer welts.

1 comment: